Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Yes, Another Quilt



This is the 1st quilt I have ever sewn using a quilting pattern. I mostly followed the pattern, I used my "Go" which is a machine which cuts fabric pieces using a die - this is cool because every piece will be the exact same size something I could never accomplish using my rotary cutter. Anyway why I said that I mostly followed the pattern is because the die for the Go was 5 inches and the pattern required 5-1/2 inches, and believe me 1/2 inch does make a difference. I used batik "fat quarter" pieces, again the pattern called for 12 fat quarters, I used 20 - so my quilt is larger than the pattern.



I stitched the design on the top of the quilt using my Brother embroidery machine - it has some built in quilting designs but I purchased these online.



As you can tell I am not quite finished stitching the design on the top - this will take a long time; you have to hoop the quilt, stitch the design, remove the hoop, move to the next spot, rehoop . . . well you get the picture. I can only stitch a 5x7 space at a time, actually the design is 5x5 - total size of the quilt is equivalent to a twin-sized bed. So now you understand why I will be at this for awhile.

2 comments:

Carole Beath said...

I saw this...and it's wonderful.

Unknown said...

This and all of the quilts are fascinating. I am sure the real workman(woman)ship can't be fully appreciated on a web page, however these are very beautiful.